Monday 24 February 2014

Two lovely postcards from Latvia

Hi everybody :)

a very sunny day in Milan :) Spring is coming!

This is a view from my room:


I love the blue sky, I feel better when the sun lights up the city! :D

Well, today I'm flying to Riga, the capital city of Latvia. I had a great time with a latvian girl that I met during my work experience in Vancouver. She is from Sigulda. We had lots of fun there and shared our experiences. Now she is teaching English in Vietnam! 
Over this wonderful experience with the Latvian people, the guy who sent me these postcards is also a very nice person. In addition to send me postcards, we also had the opportunity to exchange talks. 
It's great to know people who are so kind. He was in Oslo about 10 days ago and he also sent me a postcard from there. His name is Arturs, a boy of my own age, a sports fan and that he had never sent a postcard to a stranger before. Arturs thank you very much :D

Here are the postcard, a general one of his country and another one of Riga:



When Arturs sent me these postcards, about one month ago, he said that the temperature there was between -18°C and -23°C. Omg, I can't imagine how cold was, such a chilly winter. Brrrr!
Latvia has a long and ancient history and it is one of the least densely populated countries of the European Union. Along with the neighboring countries Estonia and Lithuania it is known as the Baltic States.

In the Riga's postcard we can see the Railway Bridge, I think is so beautiful, it is located  over the river Daugava and it was opened on 1 January 1873. It is illuminated in white and blue, the colors of Riga's flag.
We can also see the House of Black Heads, the Riga Castle and an old view of the city.
The House of Black Heads is a medieval building and its name is due to the Brotherhood of Black Heads (because of the headgear of the members), born in the city in 1416 as a guild of Latvian merchants. It is currently the house of some municipal administrative offices, the Office of Tourism and a coffee shop.
The Castle was founded in 1330 and it is the home of the President of the Republic of Latvia and the National History Museum of Latvian, the third oldest museum in Latvia.


Well, I hope one day to visit this beautiful country and to know in person Arturs!

Have a great time and a nice week!

See you,
Giuliana






2 comments:

  1. I'll not complain about the cold anymore. I can't even imagine what is like -18ºC and -23ºC!! I'm freezing just to thing about it!
    Giuly, thank you for sharing your wonderful postcards and these great stories! Keep up the good work!
    :-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Andy, so coooold!! Thanks again for following me! :-*

      Delete